I am someone who is very motivated when it comes to goal setting. I love breaking out the pens and the fancy journals, and getting to work. For me, the dreaming big part has never really been a problem. I get excited about many new ideas and often find myself eagerly jumping from thing to thing, goal to goal, trying to fruitlessly do all the things. As you can probably guess, taking this approach in the past has led me down roads of half finished books, partly done posts and never attempted races.
It’s a positive thing to get excited and motivated, but the kicker is that there needs to be some meat to back up the dream. The “meat’“ of the dream or vision is the plan of action. This is where the magic happens and a dream becomes a goal, a goal becomes a habit and thus you have entered into the territory of completing what you set out to do.
As much as I love a good goal setting party, I now am equally infatuated with the process behind the goal. What will take us from dreamers to doers? Now, clearly if I had the actual answer to that question, I would probably be a millionaire. Because the reality is that how we arrive at our desired destination in life will vary from person to person. However, I also believe from observation and personal experience that there are a few key steps that would benefit each and every single person who is eager to make some lasting changes in their life.
I created the 10 step method to accomplishing your goals as much for me as I did for you! We all could use a little encouragement and a friendly nudge in the right direction when it comes to setting goals that matter to us and then following through with them until the end. Some of our goals will be fairly large(which is awesome) but that means that it will take even more determination and even more focus to stay the course when life throws you a curve ball.
This is why we all need that support and guidance, when we are not sure what the next right step to take is, we can simply follow along with the 10 steps and work through the process. All the while mixing, matching, adjusting so that this process works for YOU and YOUR life!
Whose with me? Are you ready to accomplish those goals that you wrote down a few weeks ago on January 1?
Here we GO!
Define your Values. What is most important to you, in your life right now.
Cast a Vision. Write down in detail who you want to be in 5 years, how you want to show up in the world, and how you want to feel.
Know your why. This is the deep, intrinsic motivation that will keep you going even when life gets hard.
Develop the Mindset. Progress not perfection, ditch the all or nothing mentality and focus on the 1% change and improvement that you can make every single day.
5. Brainstorm. For all 3 categories of life (Home, Work and Personal), dream big and embrace your stream of consciousness, don’t edit yourself.
6. Prioritize and Clarify. To take a dream to a goal- it needs to be 1. Specific: time frame, desired result and measurable. 2. Aligned: with your values and your season of life and energy levels.
7. Keep it simple. Make it work for YOU. There are no rules, other than to get the big picture and do your best to zero in on the one or two main goals that will move you in the direction of your dreams the fastest. The more focused and zoomed in a goal is, the better.
8. Break it down. Take each separate goal and list the smaller goals, tasks and habits within it to support the overall mission.
9. Take Action. Always starting with the overall vision, then moving down the line to creating a step by step roadmap for yourself. Going from annual goals to seasonal to monthly, and eventually all the way to your weekly goals and daily most valuable tasks. Keep the main goal top of mind and take daily steps in that direction.
10. Check In. This is key! Realistically the most beneficial thing is to check in with yourself and your progress with your goals on a daily basis. After that, definite Weekly and Monthly check-ins are imperative. This is when you can measure your progress and reassess if the goal you set in the first place is still in alignment with your values and the direction that you are going.
There you have it. A super condensed overview of the SBL Method to accomplish your goals. I have been implementing these steps in one form or another(less organized) for about a year now, and I can tell you that I feel more settled and empowered, knowing WHAT my goals are is only half the battle. Now I have an action plan to take me from organized dreamer to successful doer!
I am confident that this process can work for you too. Over the next few weeks I will be diving deep into each one of these steps individually and clarifying the nitty gritty that makes up the method.
Stay tuned and start today by grabbing a piece of paper and starting to envision your best life. What’s important, who is with you, where do you live…all the things! Get excited and get creative.
I look forward to taking this journey with you.